Tuesday, May 21, 2013

15w6d meeting my doctor tomorrow

Wow, it's been a long time since I last posted.  If anyone is following me, I am sorry.  Things have been fine!  Great, in fact.  I'm healthy, I believe the baby is also, and really no bad side effects of this little human taking over my body aside from extreme tiredness and the inability to climb 3 stories of stairs without feeling like I'm going to lose a lung.  I'm hungry like a baby is -- I need to eat all the time, though not that much.  I can't tell if my belly has "popped" yet, because I'm still suffering from bloating and constipation on a regular basis, so I often just think I'm bloated.  I'm a slender person, but I've always had a belly that protrudes, or can. I've conditioned myself to hold in my stomach for so many years that it's just odd to let it all out now, and that adds to my confusion of what is baby and what is my normal relaxed belly plus bloat.  

We'll call this the 16 week belly

So since the last time I posted, I had the first 2 of the 3 tests for screening, a blood draw and the nuchal measurement.  Both of those came out great (nuchal scan measured 1.3mm) and I'm considered screen negative for everything they were checking for. I will have my 3rd test, another blood draw, tomorrow when I go in for my 16 week checkup.  I will also get to meet my doctor finally!  The last checkup was with a midwife, and so now I'll meet the new doc to whom I switched after my very first prenatal visit since that man just didn't seem like he was going to be very caring or interested in me or what I want.

After we got those initial screens back, we were finally free to tell everyone that we are expecting.  I told my family, some friends, and work.  No facebook posting for me though, I am not extroverted enough for that.  Also, after 4 years of infertility, I know it can inadvertently hurt some folks who are also suffering from it.  I have 2 friends who have just given up trying.  And another one or two who are sad because they haven't met the right guy, or the guys they're with don't want kids.  Anyway, I'm sensitive to it, so I'll refrain from that sort of thing.  I've found that I actually like it better when someone else tells a friend for me -- I keep saying to my husband "Have you told her the news?" as an opener, then he tells the friend.  I don't know why I prefer it that way, but I do.  People are so happy for us, which is nice, but I can't quite match their happiness because mine's dispersed over weeks and weeks now -- each successful week completed or positive checkup has been another dose of excitement and relief.  I might be coming across as less happy than I actually am to those friends who have just heard.  But I am definitely happy and excited to meet that baby!

It's been a few weeks since the last appointment, and after tomorrow it'll be another 3 weeks til the next one.  So I'll try to post about tomorrow at some point, and if I don't post again after that for a while, I guess readers should just assume all is well.  That's been my approach to this pregnancy.  Assume it's all good unless I hear otherwise!




2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the outcome, if that's the word I want. Congratulations! I just hope he/she is as good-natured as his/her parents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blog. And that is definitely a pregnant belly.

    ReplyDelete